What is concurrent enrollment?

Concurrent Enrollment is a program in which qualified students in 9th-12th grades in a school district or charter school take courses for both high school and college credit. The school pays students' tuition for approved courses, though the student may be responsible for class books and/or fees.

Classes may be taken on the high school campus or FRCC campus.

What is ASCENT?

ASCENT stands for “Accelerating Students through Concurrent ENrollmenT.” Students who have completed at least 9 credit hours of transcripted postsecondary credits (non-remedial) prior to completion of their 12th grade year may be eligible for the ASCENT Program. Students take courses primarily on college campuses, the high school/district pays the student's tuition, and students receive their high school diplomas at the end of their ASCENT year. Students must work with the high school to be approved for the ASCENT program.

Why is concurrent enrollment a good opportunity?

Concurrent Enrollment provides students an opportunity to take college level courses that may apply toward their future college major, or that help them learn a skill to join the workforce.

The college rigor level fosters critical thinking and offers incentives to advance beyond the high school level.  Students benefit from the support of both high school and college staff in transitioning from high school to college in a comfortable environment.

What kind of courses can I take?

FRCC offers a variety of course options, including:

  • career and technical education (CTE) courses, leading to partial or full completion of a certificate program,

  • general college courses, or

  • guaranteed transfer (GT) pathways courses. 

Students can work with their high school counselor and Concurrent Enrollment staff to determine what courses may be available.

Concurrent enrollment courses must apply to a student's Individual Career and Academic Plan (ICAP) at the high school.

Concurrent Enrollment classes must be approved by the school or district.

How are my courses applied?

After completion of Concurrent Enrollment courses, grades are applied to students' high school transcripts, and to their FRCC's transcripts, which may include the full or partial completion of a degree or certificate, and may be transferable to four-year universities.

Where are concurrent enrollment courses held?

FRCC partners with local high schools to offer classes at the high school or enroll students in classes offered at the college campus. Students are encouraged to talk with their high school counselor about options for their school.

Are college courses weighted?

Check with your high school to see if and how college classes are weighted in your high school GPA.

How is college tuition paid?

College tuition consists of two parts in Colorado: the student share of tuition and the College Opportunity Fund (COF) stipend. In Concurrent Enrollment and ASCENT, the high school pays the student share of tuition. Students also apply for and authorize the COF stipend to pay that portion of their tuition. All Concurrent Enrollment and ASCENT students are eligible for the COF stipend, but if they do not apply or for some reason do not receive it, the student is responsible for paying the COF amount to FRCC. 
Students are encouraged to check their bill in eWOLF to verify that the COF stipend has processed while also viewing other fees they may owe for classes.

How do I authorize COF in eWOLF?

How to Authorize COF

How do I qualify for a class?

FRCC offers a variety of ways for students to qualify for courses. This may include review of students' SAT or ACT scores, administering the Accuplacer test, or looking at students' high school coursework to determine placement. Students are encouraged to talk with Concurrent Enrollment staff and their high school counselor to see what may be needed to qualify for the classes they plan to take.

How do I register for concurrent enrollment courses?

Talk with your high school counselor to learn more about classes available to you and requirements to enroll. If approved, Concurrent Enrollment staff will help you register in your FRCC student account (eWOLF) before the class begins.

Here's how to register with your Course Registration Number (CRN):

How to Add Classes

Do I have to pay any fees for a Concurrent Enrollment course?

The high school will pay the tuition for all approved courses. The student may be responsible for any applicable course fees, and for the textbooks required. Talk with your high school counselor or the Concurrent  Enrollment staff at your FRCC campus for more information.

Are concurrent enrollment & ASCENT program students eligible to receive the College Opportunity Fund (COF) stipend?

Yes. All students participating in the Concurrent Enrollment and ASCENT programs are eligible to apply for the COF stipend. If COF is not processed, FRCC will charge the student the stipend amount.

How does concurrent enrollment differ from advanced placement (AP)?

Concurrent  Enrollment students are assessed and earn credit when they successfully complete a course with a final grade of C or better. Grades are based on any tests, papers, projects or other assignments required over the course of the semester. In AP classes, students complete a year-long class and take a one-time test at the end of the year. Students may be eligible for college credit if they score a 3 or higher, and if the college they attend after high school accepts AP credit.

Do concurrent enrollment course credits transfer to other colleges and universities?

Courses taken in the Concurrent Enrollment and ASCENT programs transfer between institutions to the same extent that the same courses taught on the college campus transfer. Students should work with their counselors at the high school and college to determine how the specific courses they take as part of Concurrent Enrollment or ASCENT can transfer between institutions. Students are encouraged to talk with the college or university they plan to attend after high school to verify if classes will transfer prior to registering for classes.

Will my Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or 504 plan dictate accommodations for a Concurrent Enrollment course?

No. Services in the IEP/504 would not be required for Concurrent Enrollment classes. Although the IEP team plays a key role in providing recommendations and documentation for requested accommodations, decisions about the accommodations provided in college classes will be determined by the college following 504 and ADA guidelines. FRCC has five universal accommodations (time and a half on tests, a reduced distraction testing location, a test reader, preferential seating, copies of class notes) that are honored without a Disability Support Services intake meeting. If you require more support, your high school counselor will direct you to set up an intake appointment with Disability Support Services. Be prepared to present documentation of your disability at your appointment.

Contact the Disability Support Services office with questions about how you can make sure you are supported with the learning resources you need.

What is considered "passing" in a college class?

FRCC considers grades of A, B and C as passing grades that apply toward a degree or certificate. Though a high school may accept D as passing, it will not count toward college credit.

What happens if I don't pass my class?

Students and their parents or guardians are required to sign a Concurrent Enrollment agreement with their high school. The agreement confirms that the student and their parents or guardians understand the school/district grade policies if the student withdraws from, or receives a final grade of D, F, or Incomplete in any class. Students' grades will always appear on their college transcript, even if they retake the class and receive a higher grade in the future. Withdrawing from, or receiving a final grade of D, F, or incomplete in any class may also impact financial aid eligibility, as well as the ability to continue at FRCC in good academic standing after high school, or in the future.

If I want to continue at FRCC after I graduate, will I need to reapply for admission?

Not usually. Students who choose to continue at FRCC within a year of their Concurrent Enrollment classes will not have to re-apply for admission. If a student has taken more than a year break between classes, a new application will be required to update the student's account; however, the student's ID number (S#) will be the same.

If I change my mind, can I get out of a class once I start?

Students can drop the class from their FRCC record before the published census (drop) date for the course. By dropping, the class comes off the college transcript and no tuition is charged. Students can withdraw from a class later in the semester if needed to avoid receiving a failing grade in the course. Students must talk with their high school counselor for approval to drop or withdraw as it may affect high school requirements. Students can view the drop and withdrawal dates for their classes in their course schedule in eWOLF.

Does FERPA apply to me as a student?

Yes. FRCC follows the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) law, which impacts all students regardless of age. This means that students who begin college classes, even if they are under 18, will have their records protected under FERPA.


Feel free to reach out to our team.

Boulder County Campus

303-678-3820 | Email

Larimer Campus

970-204-8370 | Email


Westminster Campus

303-404-5089  | Email